Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Za Banquet!

The moment that has been talked about since Day 1 of Senior Year.  The Banquet.  $28 a plate, steak or chicken at The Timbermine.  Chris, Mom and Dad accompanied me.  It was fun.  Kind of taken over by random Awards and Professional Sponsors, but still fun.  It is very weird to be there with all my classmates, but not really be in the same atmosphere as class or clinic.  I kept trying to whisper to people or get somebody's attention about an inside joke, but they were 10 tables away surrounded by a bunch of people I didn't know.  Strange.  I did enjoy sitting at our table with McCall and her family.

My honest impressions were:

If you were a SADHA officer, you got an award.
If you were a TA, you got an award.
If Kami Hanson liked the way you blogged, you got an award (that was for me).

Not that those who got awards, didn't deserve them, it just seems like an all or nothing thing.  We focus so much on helping each other out through the entire program, it seems out of place to single some people out.  If you got an award, congrats.  If you didn't, you're still awesome.

I did get the Golden Scaler Award, but I'm not really sure what that means.  I'd like to ask, without appearing like I'm fishing for compliments.  What Kami said was, "The Golden Scaler award goes to one of my favorite students.  She is a blogger, a media user, I always think she is joking when she is serious . . . Marianne Moody."  At least that is what I remember her saying.  My Dad barely made it back from the bif to hear my name being called.  Prof. Bossenberger did say a little spiel about how I come from a dental family and she went to high school with my Uncle John.  If I find out more about the Golden Scaler, I'll let you know.

There was some mention at Graduation that some left the banquet feeling less than honored, because they didn't get an award.  And that makes me think, they shouldn't do those awards at the Banquet.  They should do them in class, where it is just us.  Especially the scholarships for the Junior Class.  Why are they announced at our Senior Banquet?  They are not pertinent to us at all.  I guess that is how it always is, and probably always will be.   




These next pictures need an explanation.  All year long I have poked fun at the picture of the UDHA (Utah Dental Hygienists' Association) official pictures that is in all the programs for conventions and such throughout the year.  She just looks a little different, and I imagine hygienists' (especially those seeking to be Association Presidents') to look more like Costley to be honest.  Anyway, when she sat behind me at the banquet I knew I needed to take advantage of the opportunity to take a picture with her.  I learned my lesson about poking fun though, because she was SUPER NICE.  I took the picture thinking to maybe do a mocking sort of post, but no more.  She was really nice, and I learned my lesson.  It was funny though to see Costley come up and schmooze her.  Thanking her for coming over and over again.
 
The picture I poked fun at all year long.
The picture of a real nice lady. And me. Also a real nice lady.

Another side story.  After taking this picture with the UDHA President, Costley gave me a hug and said congratulations.  I assume she meant for the Golden Scaler award, but then she said, "No, aren't you expecting??"  I got that again from Prof. Bossenberger later in the evening.  "Congratulations!"  "For what?"  "When is this little baby due?"  It was funny, because I hadn't even thought they'd be congratulating me for that.




TWINNERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment