Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Subbing can suck.

I'm pretty happy with my hygiene situation right now.  I have 1.5 days guaranteed at a fabulous office close to my house.  I pick up days (as we say in the industry) up to 5 days a week.  I like having certain flexibility, some weeks I work a lot, other weeks I hardly work.  It has it's upsides and it usually works really well, except for when it doesn't.  Here is the most recent frustrating sitch.

A lady asked me to sub the 16th and the 23rd.  She LEFT A MESSAGE on my phone about the days, etc, asking me to call her back.  I call her back, LEAVE A MESSAGE with a front office person that I CAN'T work the 9th but I CAN work the 16th (or something like that).  Then I realized I hadn't even responded to the days she had asked me (you'd think I'd be more organized, this is my LIVELIHOOD we're talking about). I realized my mistake, called her back, LEFT ANOTHER MESSAGE with ANOTHER front office person.  The hygienist then called me back and LEFT A MESSAGE saying she had gotten my messages and that she had me down for the 16th, but was going to get someone else for the 23rd.  At least I'm pretty sure that's what she said.

Anyway, of course the perfect storm comes yesterday when my PG friend asks me to work for her 7-1.  I say I am already working 7-5 at another office.  I tried to get somebody else to cover her day, because she is uncomfortable and having a hard time walking around without lower back pain, but nobody could.  I felt bad telling her I couldn't do it and nobody else had responded to my call.

This morning, I set my alarm for 6:15.  Snooze.  6:24.  Snooze.  Then my husband saying, "Marianne?" . . . 7:00am.  "suck."

Jump out of bed, nearly waking up the 7 month-old and 3 year-old that practically sleep on top of me every night, run to the bathroom.  I can get ready in about 5 minutes.  Go to the bathroom, put my contacts in, comb my hair back, get dressed, grab my loupes and as I'm running out the door I call the office I'm supposed to work at.  I am sick (a sick women getting up at this ungodly hour, psh) and I've lost my voice so I am like squeaking into the phone, "Hi!  I'm supposed to be working today, I am running late (NOT I just woke up) I'll be there in 5 minutes" and I hear on the other line "Um . . . I have you down for working the 23rd . . . "  Of course you do.  The eye of the storm.

So there are some upsides to this.  I called my PG friend and told her I'd be there to start her 2nd patient.  I am not working as long today overall.  I now will be working in an office where I have worked before and like.  I might be able to get off early enough to go to a staff meeting at my normal office that I thought I'd miss before.  I have time to write this post. 

Downsides to this.  I spent all day yesterday thinking I was going to be doing one thing and kind of dreading it because I'm sick.  My PG friend had to get her PG backside out of bed this morning way too early and go to work for 1 hour.  Miscommunication drives me CRAZY, as it is inefficient.  Meh.

Hats off to subbing!  And all it's future crappy situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment