Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Dental Hygiene Nightmares

I swear I am not stressed, but the frustrations that come out in my dreams would suggest otherwise.

Nightmare #1
I had traveled very far on a bus to get to a place where I could treat my patient.  I am interpreting this as getting to the VA.  The destination was a park, and I met my patient who was an East Indian guy.  He was a Class III that I had already completed 2 quads on.  I was looking forward to finishing the other 2 quads that day at the park, but some government of his said that I couldn't treat him.  I was livid.  I remember having to travel home on the bus, and feeling it was a waste of my time so I complained to Dr. Hanson about a swollen joint in my hand (my right hand had like 2 LARGE swellings on it) so I got to go home.  Relief.

Nightmare #2
It was mockboards.  I didn't have a patient so I just grabbed a relative of mine to sit in, figuring at least he would be better then nothing.  We were about to get started, when the Head Examiner (Alexander) asked if all of our patients truly qualified for mockboards or if we were just using them because we didn't have anyone else.  I of course was trying to get away with the latter.  So, I had an ethical dilemma.  Do I lie or just pretend like he qualified for mockboards?  Thankfully, I told the truth and said that he was just filling in because I had nobody else.  Alexander made me leave the room and I was not allowed to participate.  Again, I was livid.  Is that the theme here?  Do I feel a loss of control?  I'm not sure, but I always wake up with a sore jaw from grinding stress, and I've got the massaters to prove it.  Of course it is hard to put into words that existential experience of dreams, but it's better than nothing.

3 comments:

  1. Seriously, I feel a Hunger Games connection here.

    The government and Alexander, or the "Capitol" controlling your life!

    See, no stress, just too much focus on Katniss taking back her life!! Good thing you finished the series, but expect the nightmares to continue for the next few days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marianne, you suppress the stress and pretend it isn't there....but it is. You just choose not to embrace it...and your dreams are showing this. I on the other hand embrace it and just cry the stress away. =) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you don't wake up in the morning and find a half eaten muffin in your sleep! Stress plus lack of food equals sleep eating. It not fun, but you are amazing... AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete