Tuesday, February 21, 2012

"CAAAAAAATS?" -Edgar the Butler of the Aristocats

Thank you Jennifer Brooke Baker for reminding me of this important story.  At the VA (3 days left Hallelujah) in the afternoon (after a Jimmy John lunch) I saw a patient that had less than stellar home care.  He has been depressed, in the hopsital, severe PTSD, and hasn't brushed in who knows how long.  We are talking caked on facial calculus on #6 and #7.  That's neglect my friends.  Anyway, I ultrasonic-ed to just get all the crap out to be able to probe and explore and stuff.  While doing so I noticed some . . . wait for it . . . hairs.  Just a few little ones.  I wasn't really sure what to think of it, but they did eventually ultrasonic out.  A little 4 mm black hair and a 6 mm white hair.  Define that in clinical terms.  Come on Perry, I dare you.  While telling this story to the gals in my group, Karlie Willard Weeks so nonchalantly said, "Oh!  He eats cats!"  We had a good laugh.  This is the most valuable part of the VA, the stories.  The end of this story is actually pretty sad.  I didn't get an OD check on this dude.  I was kind of lost because I was ultrasonic-ing to get just debride him and then . . . that kind of naturally lends itself to calculus removal right??  Well, I didn't get an OD.  And Katie Poulson, Instructor, resented that a bit.  So she gave me ONE QUAD of a III instead of 2 or 3 or 4.  Psh.  I will pass this semester in spite of her.

I couldn't find the isolated "CATS?" part, so if you're short on time skip to minute 1:00 of the vid.


3 comments:

  1. Marianne, I can't tell you how I enjoy your posts. I feel like I was really there at the VA that day. I can taste the Jimmy Johns in my mouth, I can imagine sitting in the conference room (apart from the rest of the VA staff of course), and I can definitely see Karlie nonchalantly remarking that a person would eat cats. Why wouldn't people eat caaaaaats?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to look up this post after we discussed it at lunch yesterday. I loved it! I'm pretty sure that you have had some of the weirdest experiences out of all of us... hairs in that guy's mouth, a full piece of spinach or lettuce in that other guy's mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard about Katie resenting you for not getting an OD. I can't believe that she would only give you 1 quad of a III. How absolutely rude! Can't wait to be done with that place!

    ReplyDelete