Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Not in the Stars

It is just not in the stars for my patient to be on time.  He assured me time after time that he would be here, because he's been going to bed earlier and because he would have to be awake for something else earlier anyway.  And here I sit.  at 8:31am.  Waiting.

UPDATE: Pt came at 8:45pm, later than normal, but do not judge him until you hear this story.  This is a 20 year old Hispanic kid.  He woke up this morning at 5:00am to go get his Grandma from the SLC Airport.  She flew in from Mexico.  She has not seen his family for 12 years.  (tear)  He was 7 years old when he saw her last.  (tear)  He took her home (to his mom's house) as a surprise for his mom's birthday.  Are you loving him yet?  I am.

However, the appt was difficult.  He was late, had local anesthesia on the upper left.  Told me (at 9:00am) that he needed to leave at 10:00am.  I worked as hard and as fast as I could.  Had LOTS (more than any of you have ever had in one mouth) of errors, but I removed a LOT of calculus and plaque and bacteria biofilm.  His gums are going to be ROCKIN' in about 2 weeks.  Seriously, the black line calculus that came off his anteriors alone was enough to get me giddy about his rise in health status.

He was not always reliable, he ALWAYS came late, but I love this kid and love that I was able to help his mouth and his self confidence in moving towards a healthier life.

I may not get credit for all 3 quads, since Hemsley had to remove my calculus errors because my patient had to leave, but I feel very good about what I was able to do to help him.

Requirements Scmuirements.

4 comments:

  1. Good job girl! Good thing the semester is almost over, I think we are all in the need a break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that last line "Requirements Scmuirements"

    ReplyDelete
  3. He may not be reliable, but at least he's CONSISTANT!!! :) and it's precious to hear about his grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you love seeing that black subgingival calculus come out?! I finally witnessed black sub g calculus on my class 3 patient last monday. Coolest. thing. ever.

    ReplyDelete